Sunday, November 28, 2010

sunday sabbath

"Imagine a spinning top. Stillness is like a perfectly centred top, spinning so fast it appears motionless. It appears this way not because it isn't moving, but because it is spinning at full speed."
~ Erich Schiffmann

The trees are bare. It's grey and snowing. The holiday decorations are out and the stores are buzzing. That can only mean it's almost December... which means it is time to check in again!

November was most certainly the most difficult month in terms of keeping my resolutions - overall, a D+. Sure, there was one glorious Sabbath week in Mexico - all rest, all family, all of the time - but the rest of the month was the antithesis of slow. I might as well have been a ping pong ball projected back and forth, back and forth through some infinite abyss. Eat at a table? Nope! I ate at my desk 90% of the time. Take a lunch break four times a week? Nope! Most days I would completely forget to even take a 10-minute leg stretcher. Nope, nope, nope....

... but that's okay, because despite my abysmal performance this month, I learned some mighty important lessons.



Lesson One: tempo giusto

Slow isn't for everyone. It definitely isn't for me. I feel a lot more Maya-like when I'm operating at a faster, busier speed, especially when that speed is a result of things I enjoy. Last year, I had a lot more time on my hands. My evenings and weekends were, for the most part, free. And I hated it. I was bored, unmotivated, watched too much TV, etc. Some people however, thrive on slow. My dad, for example, has completely and entirely mastered il dolce far niente (the sweetness of doing nothing). He can spend hours doing, well, nothing at all and loving every minute of it. But not me. Although I am absolutely exhausted when I hit the pillow every night, I feel like I am getting the most out of each and every day. I haven't quite found my tempo giusto yet, but I know that it lies somewhere closer to busy town.



Lesson Two: sabbath

Even though I thrive on busy, I absolutely, without a doubt, need a weekly Sabbath... and I suspect so do most people. Sabbath is so essential to my well being, that my body will force it on me when I forget to plan it into my week. And it makes sense. You can't drive a car without eventually needing to stop and refuel. Lesson learned. No more Sunday to-dos. I woke up this morning, politely cancelled all of my plans, and am happily spending every moment in sweat pants. Amazing.

So, on this cloudy, cold November Sunday, let yourself snuggle up in comfy clothes, completely forego the to-do list, and refuel... that is, unless you'd rather pack the day from beginning to end. Whatever you do, just try to live according to your tempo giusto today. :)

Thanks for the patient wait... I missed you!
mxo

No comments:

Post a Comment