Saturday, July 16, 2011

7am yoga? no problem!


Meet Michael DeCorte. He's the founder of Jock Yoga and my new yoga teacher.


Here's how I met Michael:


A few weeks ago, I was starting to get more and more upset about the fact that my yoga practice was… well, slipping. I'm a certified teacher and I was neither teaching nor practicing (bad!) I decided I needed to do something major to get myself back in the game.


So I signed up for a month-long morning bootcamp with Michael.



The style: Jock Yoga. High intensity vinyasa/ power sequencing that leaves you drenched (despite A/C) and aching all over (when the aches subside though, you're left with awesome muscle definition). It's a killer workout.


The location: Buddha Body Yoga


The time: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays at 7am. That's right folks, I said 7am.... for the whole of July! (Please also note that I live some 15 subway stops away).




Two weeks later, when the alarm goes off at 5:15, I'm still not sure why I signed up… but as soon as I make it to BBY, I instantly remember. I get my butt kicked for an hour and I leave feeling energetic, alive and accomplished. By 8:30, I am in my cubicle having already done something I love, and having already fed by body and soul. It's amazing - more than I could have asked for when signing up, really.


Don't get me wrong, it's still very hard to get up at 5:15 and I often think about throwing in the towel, but I won't because that feeling of accomplishment (and the toned body!) is well worth cutting off an hour of sleep.


Challenge yourself to an early morning practice - yoga, running, whatever. See how it changes your day. If I can get up at 5:15 three times a week, so can you!


Oh, and try out one of Michael's many classes throughout the city. You won't regret it!


xo


No comments:

Post a Comment