Sunday, September 26, 2010

october: MONEY, MONEY, MONEY


Yes, yes, I know, it's not quite October yet, but Friday just doesn't seem like an appropriate day to start something new... and really, I'm far too impatient to wait until then!

I debated long and hard about what to set as the theme for this month - so many ideas! - but I finally decided to dedicate the third month of my happy, healthy year to what seems the most urgent to me right now: money. It's not a very pretty or inspiring topic, but it's a necessary one because when your finances are a mess, it's hard to focus on anything else.

Now, I have to preface all of this by saying that one) I'm not complaining about the position I am in and two) I am in fact very grateful for all that life has afforded me. I make a comfortable living, own a beautiful house, and have sufficient income to enjoy life. But, as with every prior challenge, I just feel like I can do better. Recently, as life has thrown me a few expensive (but fun!) endeavors, I feel as those I've lost some control over my spending and it's time to tighten the strap!

So here we go, a whole new month of challenges! In no particular order, here's what I'm adding:

  • Write down everything I am spending... everything!... to get a better understanding of where my money is going.
  • Talk to a financial planner.
  • Only bagged lunches for one... whole... month... jeepers!
  • Mondays = no money Mondays! Not one cent can be spent on anything unless it's a true emergency (how ever will I survive without my morning java?!)
  • Read smart, financial books. I'm yawning already.
  • Reuse, reduce, recycle.
  • Give every single day... because I truly believe that in order to feel true abundance, you must be truly benevolent.

I have a feeling this month is going to be a bit of a struggle.... let's wait and see, shall we?!

Thanks for stopping by... hope you're having a great weekend! :)
mxo

2 comments:

  1. Eeeek - good luck Maya. Kudos for you for even trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenners! So far, so good.... but it's only been two days. ;)

    ReplyDelete