Tuesday, September 28, 2010

yoga pose of the week: camel

Ah, camel (otherwise known as ustrasana), how I love and hate you. When you're right, you're so right... but usually you're just strenuous and frustration. Hips up, stomach in, hands turned out, head relaxed... so much to bloody think about!


Camel is another concave posture which focuses on opening the chest, energizing the breathe, and improving circulation. It's also great for strengthening the shoulders, spine, abdominals, etc. What I love/ hate about camel is that it's awkward as hell, and I think that's part of the point. The pose contorts you so that you're looking behind you, upside down. Supposedly the pose parallels the camel it's named after, as camels have poor eyesight and have to rely on other senses to guide them. This pose makes me realize all of the things I take for granted every day.

mxo

No comments:

Post a Comment