Wednesday, November 9, 2011

mamamamamaaaaaaaaaa.. MACA!

I have been getting a lot of questions recently about what I eat, when I eat it, why I eat it, etc. In fact, people are so curious that when I make my lunch at work, I usually have to give a mini lecture on every ingredient. So much fun! :)

It's made me think: I should share all of these
tidbits with you!

Without further ado, here is my first happy, healthy tip... all about MACA!



What's Maca?

Good question! Maca, or lepidium meyenii (who's a smartie pants?!), comes from the Andes in Peru.

It looks like this:
This root vegetable has been harvested for centuries for its high medicinal and nutritional value. It's packed full of goodness like:
  • protein
  • fibre
  • calcium
  • magnesium
  • potassium
  • iron
  • zinc
  • fatty acids
  • amino acids
  • selenium
It's pretty much magic!


Why should you care?

Maca is an adaptogen which balances the entire endocrine system.

Translation: it balances hormones responsible for metabolism, energy levels, growth, sexual stamina, stress, anxiety, and fatigue. It literally helps make you happy and healthy.



How to use maca?

It seems there are all sorts of ways to enjoy maca: mashed or boiled, as a porridge, in salads, etc.

But perhaps the most accessible form of maca is powder.
This is the brand I use:
It costs about $13 and can be picked up at most health food stores. You only need 1 tsp per day (as it's super condensed), so it will last awhile. I throw 1 tsp into my morning smoothie. Super duper easy peasy!

Questions? Just say so!


Oh yes, one more thing... ENJOY!
mxo

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I actually had no idea what maca was!! Keep up the good information work! :)

    One question though, does it have a taste or texture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bright Smile! :)

    In terms of taste and texture, it's a bit nutty/ earthy perhaps... but the taste and texture disappear when you blend it into a smoothie!

    ReplyDelete