Monday, May 21, 2012

cucumber mondays...

Happy Victoria Day! 

This long weekend could not have been more perfect in Toronto. 25-30c and pure sunshine each and every day. Wow. 



Today I hopped on my bike and met my mom some 20km away in a beautiful, beautiful park by the lake. It was my second bike ride of the year so needless to say, I was a little zonked when I got home... zonked and hungry!


I popped open the fridge looking for something light and fresh and very, very delicious. Somehow I ended up with my grandma's cucumber salad ("mizeria" in Polish) but with a happy healthy yogi twist. The name of the salad translates to "misery"... but it's anything but miserable. It's delightful.




mizeria (a.k.a. cucumber salad)
  • 1 cucumber, washed and trimmed (peel please if not organic)
  • Dash of salt
  • Pinch of pepper (I used Polish herbal pepper because it's ridiculously yummy)
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt.
  • Juice from half of a juicy lemon.
  • Fresh dill and lots of it (I threw in some chives and mint because I was shy of dill)

Slice the cucumber into super, super thin coins. Combine everything but the cucumber in a bowl. When it's all mixed together, throw in the cucumber and make sure every last coin is coated. Throw over some fresh spinach or arugula, serve on crostini, or eat straight out of the bowl with a fork... just like I did. :)


Typically this salad is made with sour cream but the greek yogurt provides a super healthy alternative packed with protein and healthy bacteria your gut will love. Also, forgo the traditional white vinegar for some healthy lemon juice or apple cigar vinegar. A perfect summer salad!


Happy tumbles and stumbles!
mxo


P.S. Legend has it that the name came from a homesick Italian princess who married a Polish king back in the 16th century. She loved this salad but it reminded her of her native Italy and so she cried and cried and cried... she gave the salad a bad rep, if you ask me! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds SUPER YUMMY! I'm going to try this this week! Thanks Maya!

    ReplyDelete