Wednesday, December 26, 2012

wagons...

Here's the thing about wagons: they are notoriously difficult to stay on. Especially when they look like this:

File:Baraboo circus wagon.jpg

No thank you!

Lord knows I've had a hard time staying on them. My usual strategy is to get on and speed so quickly that I go flying off. My wounded ego (and sometimes broken bones) then take awhile to heal before I get back on.

It's not a good stragedy. So I'm trying something new: go slow/ be kind (I couldn't decide which one to go with, so I'm going with both).

In my many years of yoga-ing and exercising and dieting and cleansing and otherwise being a happy, healthy yogi, I've come to learn this: the secret to success is to start slow, to incorporate your new goal into your life, because when you try to rework your life to meet your new goal, it often doesn't stick (this is why the vast majority of New Year's resolutions flop a couple of weeks later).

So when you're planning your New Years resolutions, I would suggest this: write your resolutions, then write your plan for how to arrive there. Break it down. Be detailed. Think of your resolutions as where you want to be in 12 months, your end goal and not where you must be immediately.

Example:
  • I will go to the gym five times per week. Unless you're already going four times every week, I suggest this modification: I will go the gym five times per week by December. In January, I will start with one day a week and I'll find the time that works best for me (i.e. maybe you're a morning gym rat). In February, I'll go two times per week. Etc.
I say all of this to myself first and foremost because I need to hear read it.

I'll post my 2013 goals soon to keep myself accountable. Yikes!

Hope you're all having a Happy Happy Holly-day! And please indulge now. Live a little! That's what the holidays are for. January is for dealing with the aftermath. :)

Much, much love.
mxo

No comments:

Post a Comment