Sunday, February 24, 2013

growing up and making soup...

I fell asleep reading last night. At 11pm.
This has become my new weekend routine.

A few years ago, I used to start my Saturdays at 11pm. I'd stumble into bed at 6am, praying that I'd fall asleep before the sun rose and confirmed by zombie status. Around 2 the next afternoon, I'd roll out of bed, maybe work on an essay for a few hours, and then repeat.

It was great while it lasted and I was very ready for it to end when it did.

Fast forward five years to this morning when I woke up with a slight twinge of remorse for the days that once were. I think that's natural - we all tend to romanticize the past. But whenever that happens, I let myself really stew in those memories until I remember all of the less-than-glorious aspects.

And then I quickly realize that I really, truly love where I am now. I love being a grown-up... and aging is fun! Whether we choose to mourn the past and dread aging OR we say, "that was fun, what's next?!" is totally up to us.
  

Blah, blah, blah... onto soup! :)

I made two delicious pots of soup this week. I made my mom's Sweet Potato Carrot Soup (yum, yum) AND I made a un-creamy broccoli soup (it's vegan) inspired by the most beautiful blog there ever was: Green Kitchen Stories.



Here is my interpretation of their recipe, my un-Creamy Broccoli Soup:
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil 
  • 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped 
  • 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes 
  • 2 heads of broccoli, cut into smaller florets and slice the stalk 
  • 4 cups water or veggie stock to cover 
  • 1 x 400 ml can coconut milk 
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • Big pinch or two of salt, to taste
  • 1 tsp curry powder (optional)
  • 2 cups of fresh spinach (optional)
  • 5-10 of fresh basil leaves (optional)
  • Garnish: roasted pumpkin seeds and cilantro. 
Heat up the oil on medium with the red chili flakes and garlic until fragrant - you don't want to burn the garlic! Toss in the onion and reduce the heat so that the onion sweats (rather than being fried crisp). Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli, cover with stock/ water, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and let it cook for 20-30 minutes. Remove a few cups of the broth (you can always add it back in). Add coconut milk, basil, spinach, curry and tahini. Blend, blend, blend until creamy (hand blender is best but my food processor works well too, it's just messier). If it's too thick, add in some of the removed liquid. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve with garnish. Enjoy!

It's vegan, gluten-free and totally yummy.

I froze a big jar-full for a quick weekday meal. Also, freeze the leftover water! It makes for an awesome stock for future soups. I can't wait until their cookbook hits the shelves!


Be kind to yourself!
mxo

P.S. I do wonder if we ever feel like grown-ups...


No comments:

Post a Comment