Thursday, April 7, 2011

if you're not scared, you're not growing...

Let's be honest... I fell off a lot of wagons this month.

... I fell off the yoga wagon.

... I fell off the veggie wagon.

... I fell off the 'doing scary things' wagon.

... and I certainly fell off the blogging wagon.


Instead, I jumped full steam onto the bridezilla express - "everybody listen to how busy and stressed I am because I'm getting married in a month, woe is me... me, me me!"


Enough.


After two gruelling hours of hot yoga today, I seem to have sweated out the demons (okay, more honesty: it's been a week of sweating out demons). But I can see clearly now, the rain is gone... for now.


And here's what I've learned from this past month - I've said it before and I'll say it again: growth isn't about perfection. It's about stumbling, picking yourself up again and standing that much taller in the end. Everyone will have bumps - your marriage will fall apart, your career won't take off as you expected it to, or someone dear to you will get sick - some version of these is inevitable. What matters most is how you respond. Growth is about learning to stand back up and be your authentic self in spite all of these bumps.


But also allowing yourself to be where you need to be. This too shall pass... that whole thing.


And finally, this: if you're not scared, you're not growing.


I don't mean trembling in your boots because you think something terrible is about to happen.



... I mean standing at the top of a mountain even when you're terrified of heights.

... I mean introducing yourself to the strangers you keep bumping into even when you're scared they'll reject you.

... I mean following your passion, you heart, your dharma and ikigai even when you're scared of where it will take you.


Especially then, that's when you grow.


Blah, blah, blah.

I missed you!
mxo

1 comment: