Tuesday, November 13, 2012

burn out...

Last time I attended a pretty amazing Q&A with Brett Wilson.

I have also been devouring his book, Redefining Success: Still Making Mistakes.

Tonight, after some 15 days straight of work (yup, including weekends) and most of them overtime, I left work in a haze. I was so absolutely out of it that, thankfully, all I was able to think about is how ridiculously I have been living recently.

I have been heading FULL steam ahead towards burnout. Silly Maya.

It took me awhile to realize it this time because I've built my body up to a healthy, strong state and emotionally, I've been kicking it. But burnout is burnout and it gets everyone eventually if you don't change your habits.

But back to Brett and how he handsomely fits into all of this (he is quite handsome!).

When I picked up his book, I was really expecting a guide on how to become super stellar at business. It's not that, at least not really. It's a guide on how to become super stellar at life from someone who had to make some mighty mistakes to figure it out.

I think everyone should read this book but for now, here's one of the main takeaways: life is about so much more than work and your career.
  • Health must come before everything else because without it, there is nothing. 
  • Relationships must come directly after because without them, nothing really matters. 
  • After that, you decide, but somewhere near the top should be community engagement, giving back, or just generally, being a kickass person.
Without those elements, there is no true success. Without those elements, Maya is a crazy person.



So that's it, I've stopped cold in my tracks before it got messy.  Now I'm redefining my non-negotiables, my priorities, my "be the most stellar Maya I can be" list. I encourage you to do the same.

I leave you with something my partner in crime said that really stuck,

"What do you want to remember about your 20s [30s, 40s, etc] - that you worked late every night or that you worked a bit, saw your friends and family, had fun, felt great, etc?"

Noted.

Thanks universe!
mxo

No comments:

Post a Comment