Monday, April 2, 2012

april of meatless mondays and tuesday and...

It's April. Yay!

Fun fact: I love spring because it is synonymous with cleaning, cleansing, detoxing, lightening, rebirth, etc... I love all of these things!

Fun fact: The past weekend of absolute gluttony (and often quite meat-heavy gluttony) has left me longing for a cleaner, lighter, completely plant-based diet.


Combine the fun facts above and you get this: a month of meatless Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays (otherwise known as a
meatless month)!!
Now, last time I was a vegetarian, I wasn't particularly wise about it. I have always consumed lots of veggies, but my protein intake was replaced by copious amounts of carbs. Not ideal. A plant-based diet can be extremely healthy if you do your homework (I love homework!)... and this homework is non-negotiable. You need to plan your meals to ensure that you are getting all of the right nutrients. Hopefully, through doing my own homework, I can help.


For today's
Meatless Monday, I am sharing one of my favourite and easiest veggie recipes: hummus!

Hummus is a nutritional power house.
The chickpeas are a great source of protein, complex carbs and fiber. The healthy oils in the tahini and the oil you blend with will make your hair shiny and your skin glow. Tahini is also loaded with iron and calcium. Hummus is a vegan superfood.



Hummus Recipe:

  • 1 can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (or any other healthy oil like flax, walnut, hemp seed, etc)
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1-2 crushed garlic cloves (more if you like it garlicky)
  • 2 tsp cumin (optional, as I often forget this step)
  • Pinch of salt and dash of pepper.
Combine in a food processor or blender, and whirl into healthy deliciousness. Enjoy with veggie sticks, crackers or pita bread, or just with a spoon (my favourite method).


You can then make a moat for some extra oil with lemon juice and/ or sprinkle some paprika and parsley on top. How pretty!

This hummus tastes great on its own and it also works amazingly as a base for any sassy additions you can dream up (perhaps some maple and chipotle or some beets or peas for colour, or how about some curry for international flare).

Happy Monday of tumbling & stumbling! :)
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment