Wednesday, April 4, 2012

divide and conquer

It's Wednesday... I think.

I have spent the last two and a half days hiding in the woods.

This was my view at breakfast yesterday whilst I ate my massive salad and rested my sore legs after our treacherous uphill run (my friend totally kicked my rump!):


It was nice to unplug.


Aside from eating massive salads, running, and Golden Girls marathons (you read that correctly), I also did quite a bit of reading. One of the best tidbits I stumbled across was the idea of divide and conquer.


In her book Your Best Body Now,
Tosca Reno writes:

I break down each seemingly unsurpassable challenge
into little, manageable pieces that I can wrap my mind - and my solutions! - around.
It's so much easier to tackle a huge issue when you divide and conquer.


So simple, and yet so powerful.


For example,

  • If you need to lose 100 pounds, don't get overwhelmed thinking about the entire 100lbs. Instead, think about the 3lbs you plan to lose this week.

  • If you need to quit smoking, concentrate on not smoking this hour, this day, or this week.
  • If you want to become more active, don't worry about all of the gym time you need to put in this month. Instead, just take the stairs every chance you get today.


The power of this is twofold:

1. Small tasks are far more manageable.

2. If you fall off the wagon, it's a lot easier to get back up again. Rather than feeling like you failed at the entire goal, you simply dust yourself off and attempt the next small step.


So, on this lovely spring Wednesday, think of a goal you'd really, really love to achieve. Now break it down into itty bitty pieces.... and tackle the first piece now.


Wake up with a plan for the day, and focus just on today...


I'll share a few of mine soon. :)

Happy t&s,
mxo

No comments:

Post a Comment