Monday, April 30, 2012

baked coconut chickpeas


The response to my last post has been absolutely overwhelming. Thank you, thank you, thank you... and I plan to cover more soon. :)


But for now, it's Meatless Monday and it sure is a rainy one! 


Yesterday, I stumbled upon a recipe for jerk chickpeas on one of my favourite blogs, Oh She Glows. I wanted those badboy peas then and there, except that I didn't have most of the ingredients and I was already in comfy pants (it's a violation on a Sunday afternoon to trade comfy pants for real clothes).

Dressed in comfy pants and without ingredients, I was forced to get creative with what was in my pantry and boy oh boy, did it work out!


I made up a super easy peasy recipe for baked coconut chickpeas!



Ingredients:
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
  • 2-3 tbsps freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice.
  • 2 tbsp tamari (organic and gluten-free if possible).
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil.
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (the thicker, full-fat version works well).
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup.
  • 1 tsp cinnamon.
  • 1 tsp tumeric (you could also use curry if you're feeling sassy).
  • 2 large garlic gloves, smashed and chopped.
  • 1/2 of a red pepper, finely chopped.
  • 1/2 cup red onions, finely diced.
  • Few pinches of red chili flakes. 
  • Pinch of salt and pepper.
  • 2 tbsp parsley or cilantro and/or a big handful of arugula and/or chopped avocado and chives for garnish. 

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 375. 
  2. Combine all ingredients in a baking dish, except the garnish. Give it a loving stir.
  3. Cover and bake for 30 mins. Uncover and bake for another 15 mins if you'd like it drier.
  4. Throw peas over some quinoa or brown rice, or serve as a side.
  5. Garnish with your greens of choice... and enjoy!


Really, it's one of those recipes where you can throw out the recipe and just mix ingredients until it tastes yummy.


Happy rainy Monday of tumbling & stumbling!
mxo


No comments:

Post a Comment